Friday, August 3, 2012

Holiday Tips To Recover






Down Time Tips.

The holiday is drawing to a close and the specter of training is looming on the horizon. I have to say this is the first down time I have ever taken completely off, where I haven’t trained, have eaten what I wanted and drunk what I wanted.  However I have just about gone as far as I can without the training demons creeping in. It’s been hard, some people find it easy to switch off, I don’t. Especially with the Olympics on and all these athletes, doing things I could only dream off. The London Olympics highlights the sheer commitment and excellence of the athletes participating.

This blog is some key holiday tips to keep things from getting too out of hand, and to maintain some sort of shape while relaxing and recovering.

11)  Always get a good breakfast in while you away. I always try and make this the biggest meal of the day, and even if I have a big night, ill still try to get a late breakfast in.

My holiday breakfasts always consist of the following.

  • Jug full of ice water
  • Fruit juice preferably Cranberry or Grapefruit, as they are both good detoxers
  • Green tea with a squeeze of lemon
  •  Some form of eggs, either in omelets, poached, scrambled.


Other than the above I then eat what I want. In the states it’s always some bacon, buttermilk pancakes etc. I operate the policy of get in what you need, then enjoy yourself.



 2)   If you are lying by the pool then always try and keep hydrated, and if you get the opportunity, and you are doing nothing, or reading 50 shades of grey, is boring the pants of you, then have a stretch in the pool. All lighthearted of course

 3) Try not to miss too many meals; easier said than done but if you are on a boy’s holiday, it can be the difference between fronting up the next day or falling apart early doors. Also important if you aren’t, heat can affect appetite.



4) I have said eat what you want while you are away which is key, as there is a link between enjoying your food and how well your body digests it. If you are anxious about getting fat and are worried about what you eat, then you are more likely to start putting on wait. The power of the mind cant be underestimated in the realms of nutrition. Enjoy the down time and remember that training starts again very quickly. Just think of how boxers prepare. Look at how Ricky Hatton used to do it, 3 months out from a fight he would be a blob, come fight time, he would be a lean mean scrapping machine.


5) I am not advocating drinking, but let’s face it; we all like to let our hair down from time to time. Some good drinks to choose from, that won’t add inches to your waste line or give you a monster hang over, are the following.

  • VSL- vodka, lime and soda water. This is a good way to stay lean and hydrated.
  • VTl- vodka, tonic and fresh lime squeezed in- a few more calories but again better for you than piles of sugar, or normal mixers. Plus tonic has quinine in it, which is good for you.
  • Vegas Special – vodka, water and a dash of cranberry, keeps you hydrated and cuts next day hang overs in half. You can drop the cranberry if you like.
  • If you have hit rock bottom and need a lift, I am told that tequila is the only alcohol that is an upper, as opposed to all other spirits and beers, which are a depressants. So if you need a lift, get the Patron in.
  • Tequila sunrise – tequila and orange juice, fresh juice gives you a shot of vit C and some fruit for the day.
  • Tequila professional- tequila. Tonic water and fresh lime. Good hydration and keeps you dancing.



 6)   Switch off, read and relax.

Try these out and let me know how you get on. The above doesn’t have to just happen on holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment