Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Training - Interview with Anthony Ogogo



It's not often you get to spend time with an Olympic hero, so when I had the pleasure of meeting Anthony Ogogo at the Spa F1, apart from finding him to be a top man, I thought I would tap him up for some of his knowledge on training and Nutrition, and share it with you guys. Too see what kind of things top athletes get up to, and if anything can be used in your own training program

I personally love boxing myself and have found it one of the best all round training regimes there is. It requires, skill, endurance, coordination, strength, power and great conditioning. If I could have got involved in one sport as a child, boxing would have been it.

Read and enjoy.


Name- Anthony Osezua Ogogo (born 24 November 1988) is an English amateur boxer from Lowestoft, Suffolk, England, fighting in the 75kg Middleweight category. Ogogo represents Triple A ABC & GB Boxing.

Sport - Boxing

Rep honors - Junior Olympic Champion. Junior World champion and Olympic bronze medalist.


How long have you been involved in your sport and how did you get involved?
I have been boxing for 11 years. My two best friends had a playtime scrap over who scored a goal during a kick about. The little one friend sent the big one crying off with some good technique and speed. I asked how he did it, he said it was boxing. I went that night and was hooked from then on.

Did you always want to be a boxer?
 I wanted to captain England at football first. My playing position of choice was Centre midfield. It wasn’t meant to be!

Which boxers do you look up to?
Muhammad Ali and the two sugar Rays are my heroes; they are the 2 guys that really inspire me. They were both unique talents who had amazing skill and presence.

Who had the most influence on your career?
My Mum, she has been amazing. Instilling in me my work ethnic and attitude. She has inspired me in many ways. If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t be where I am now.

What is your greatest sporting moment to Date?
Probably beating the reigning world champion en route to winning my bronze medal during the Olympics. He hadn't been beaten in years, and was favorite for the gold medal. People didn't give me a chance, which made victory all the more meaningful.


You're obviously a very athletic and fit person. What are some of your go to training sessions? Things that make you feel the best.
Full on hardcore boxing sessions including sparring always make me feel great. Pads with my coach and some hard heavy bag work. Followed by weights and circuits. The best work out there is. It’s hard, but that’s how you get results.

Any sessions that are great for you but you hate doing?
Circuit training is the worse, I used to hate it as a kid now I see the benefits and like to do them just to finish them. There is no better feeling than battling through and then you know that training is in the bank. The kind of session would be 9 exercises, press-ups, sit ups, squats 20 second each equating to a 3 minute round with a minute rest. 3-6 rounds.

How big a role does conditioning play for you?
Massive. Being as strong and fast as possible whilst staying in my weight category. Having the fitness to perform in the key rounds can make all the difference, in landing shots, moving out the way of punches and ultimately winning the bout.

What drill do you use to help maintain your great footwork in the ring?
Lots of footwork and punching drills with weights in either hand.
For the footwork drills I would use Ladder drills, like to feet in each, laterals, icky shuffle. Plus plyometric's on steps, like jumping up stairs, quick feet up stairs.

If you had a 1-week to prepare for a fight, what sort of things would you do, what sessions would you include
In such a short time I'd focus on speed and reactions. Lots of speed circuits.  For example the coach calls out certain words whilst you're on the punch bag and each word you have to throw a different punch or combination, according to what he says. Like 1,2, or body, hook, upper cut, right straight.


Do you play or take part in any other sports other than boxing?
I love all sports but I'm not allowed to partake in other things, incase of injury. However I've been known to join in with my Mayes Saturday and Sunday football team if they are short on numbers.

Diet is key, how is yours and how seriously do you take it
Very serious. It's vital. When I need to drop weight I tend to not have carbs after my last session of the day. Other than that just eating sensible and working hard. My meals would consist of good helpings of protein and vegetables.

What’s your favorite food?
It has to be Subway. Chicken Teriyaki is my favorite as is low in fat and calories. Yet has a good helping of protein.

Any go to meals or shakes you love pre or post training
Maximuscle's cyclone is the best one out there. It has all the things you need in one shake. I love chicken and things like vegetable and chicken stir fry’s.

2 tips that people can introduce into their training programs that will show results
It is obviously dependent on what they are after and what their program is. If its general conditioning then I like hard interval runs. It’s sure to boost your fitness. Interval running would be. 3 minutes flat out with 1-minute rest x6

2 tips people can add to their diet and training regime to get the Anthony Ogogo body shape.
Punching with weights in their hands and running on the beach.  Lots of abs, they tie everything together and obviously look good.

If you are going to let you hair down and chill what would you eat. On your day off?
Cheesecake

What is your go to pre fight meal?
Plenty of carbohydrates. Things like Pasta with chicken and white sauce, broccoli, beans, fish like salmon.

Do you take anything on board other than water during a fight?
No just water, you aren’t allowed anything other than water. 

You have to make weight a lot, any tips on loosing weight and getting shredded.
Training hard Lots of skipping as its not too physically draining but also a good fat burner. No carbs after training.

What would you suggest is 1 good cardio session to burn fat?
12 rounds on the pads. 3 minute rounds 1 minute off. Heavy bag is fine also fine.

Your favourite afternoon snack.
Cyclone bar just like the shake, it ticks all the boxes and is easy to eat.

What's your view on supplements?
They help me no end and play a bid part in my training. Most of my nutrition has to come from food, as it always should. But when you train hard you need that edge. I find Maximuscle are amazing and taking things to the next level.

If you take supplements what would they be and how often
Cyclone. All in one. Perfect for me.

Finally something nobody would know about you.
I'm learning to play the piano and sing. Hollywood here I come. You always need to be looking a head.



A top man and an amazing athlete. Watch his progress for big things.

No comments:

Post a Comment